D&R Canal and D&L Canal Overview
The Delaware and Raritan (D&R) Canal towpath follows along the canal from New Brunswick, N.J to Trenton (the “main” canal) then on to Frenchtown, NJ (the “feeder” canal). Available miles: 70
The Delaware and Lehigh (D&L) Trail is on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River and can be used to create loops with the D&R towpath on the NJ side. A popular crossing point is Lambertville, NJ to New Hope, PA. Available miles: 168 (though not contiguous, there are closed sections.
Our two cents: Super enjoyable easy biking/hiking on a level dirt/gravel towpath along a canal. The towpath varies from lots of shade to sunny stretches. There are street crossings, more frequent in some areas than others. Congestion varies by area as well, and you may find yourself passing or dodging more people than you like. The towpath often runs along small towns, allowing for a nice day out with stops for lunch, snacks, coffee, or ice cream. Don’t forget to get ice cream.
D&R Canal Resources:
- Feeder canal (NJ/PA) overview map: Delaware Canal State Park
- Feeder Canal (Trenton – Frenchtown NJ) brochure and map: D&R Canal Towpath.
- Main Canal (NJ): dandrcanal.com
- Main Canal (NJ): Towpath Guy’s Towpath Guide
- Main/Feeder: Traillink overview map
- Main/Feeder – Google map of parking lots
- PDF showing GPS coordinates of the parking areas.
- Sample loop routes here: Towpath Trails
- Friends of the Delaware Canal – updates, maps, history
- Download our D&R Canal GPX (GPS waypoints we have set over the years for NJ and PA for the main and feeder canals.)
D&L Canal Resources:
- D&L on the PA side (includes trail condition status): delawareandlehigh.org
- Traillink (routes, maps, reviews)
Route info with photos and videos:
- D&R Canal – Rocky Hill to 10 Mile Lock – Rocky Hill north to just past 10 Mile Lock
- D&R Canal – Rocky Hill South to Rt. 95 (2013) – South, through Princeton.
- D&R Canal – Rocky Hill South to Rt. 95 (2012) – South, through Princeton.
- D&R Canal – Rocky Hill North to Weston Causeway – North to Weston Causeway at Weston Canal Rd and back.
- D&R Canal – Rocky Hill North to Amwell Road – North to Amwell Road and back.
- D&R Canal – Blackwells Mills to Demott Lane – Blackwells Mills north to almost Demott Lane.
- D&R Canal – Lambertville towards Frenchtown – North from Lambertville to Frenchtown, and back.
- D&R Canal – Lambertville to Frenchtown – North from Lambertville to Frenchtown, NJ, crossing over to Pennsylvania and returning via the D&L through New Hope.
- D&R Canal – Washington Crossing to Stockton – Quiet, pretty canal towpath on the PA side through New Hope then back to Washington Crossing, NJ.
- D&R Canal – Washington Crossing to Stockton – 2010 – Variation, from Washington Crossing State Park, north through Lambertville, crossing Stockton bridge.
- D&R Canal – Washington Crossing to Trenton – South from Washington Crossing to Trenton, over the Calhoun Bridge, then north from Morrisville, PA.
D&L – (PA):
- D&L Canal – Frenchtown to Riegelsville, PA – Scenic, easy biking and a covered bridge. Starts in NJ at Frenchtown but most of the route is on the D&L.
Old-Timey Fun Delaware and Raritan Canal Historic Map – Circa 1976 but based on an 1866 geologic map. Also contains info about the canal’s creation. Via Rutgers Special Collection.