Trail maps, photos, videos, and info for some of the best hikes in (and near) New Jersey.
Listed in alphabetical order:
- Apshawa Preserve – Passaic County
Butler reservoir, waterfalls, a dam, ruins… and even a brief glimpse of the NYC skyline.
- Atsion to Quaker Bridge – Wharton State Forest
Some of the prettiest sections of the Pine Barrens along the scenic Mullica River.
- Bearfort Ridge/Surprise Lake – Abram S. Hewitt S.F.
Scenic ridge and lake views, rugged trail surface, minor scrambling, and a rhododendron tunnel.
- Black River Trail – Cooper Mill; Morris County
Pretty hike in the Black River Gorge with a sidetrip to the ruins of Kay’s Cottage.
- Buttermilk Falls, Crater Lake, Hemlock Pond – Delaware Water Gap
Start at NJ’s highest waterfall, then hike the Appalachian Trail to Crater Lake and Hemlock Pond.
- Cheesequake State Park – Green Trail
Pleasant hike over rolling hills and through beautiful marshlands using numerous boardwalks.
- Four Birds Trail – Wildcat Ridge
A rugged trail through a very pretty area, with views from a hawk watch.
- The Giant Stairs – The Palisades
Unique but challenging scramble over a long section of huge boulders that have tumbled from the Palisades with views over the Hudson River into New York.
- Grand Loop Trail – Jockey Hollow; Morris County
Easy trails, along streams and rolling hills in part of Morristown NHP.
- Hacklebarney State Park – Chester; Morris County
Gorgeous park that has the Black River as it’s centerpiece and is stunning in the fall.
- High Point, Chik Falls, Otter Hole Loop – Norvin Green State Forest
Awesome viewpoint with 360° views (+ NYC skyline on a clear day); waterfalls.
- Jenny Jump S.F. – Ghost Lake
This hike offer views of the surrounding mountains and valleys before arriving at Ghost Lake.
- Lemon Squeezer – Appalachian Trail; Harriman State Park, NY (near NJ)
Squeeze and scramble through a narrow rock crevice, plus Island Pond and the Valley of Boulders.
- Monument Trail and Cedar Swamp – High Point State Park; Sussex County
Climb the monument to the highest elevation in NJ, and hike through an Atlantic white cedar swamp.
- Mt. Minsi – Pennsylvania side of the Delaware Water Gap [near NJ]
Wonderful views of Mt. Tammany and the Delaware River from this short but steep route.
- Mt. Tammany – Worthington State Forest / Delaware Water Gap
Hike steeply uphill to a fantastic overlook of the “Gap” and of Mt. Minsi across the river in PA.
- Pine Meadows Lake Loop – Harriman State Park, NY [near NJ]
A lot of nice, scenic hiking packed into in a doable loop. The lake makes a terrific break spot.
- Ramapo Mountain S.F. – Ramapo Lake, Van Slyke Castle, Cannonball Trail, Millstones
Ramapo Lake and the Van Slyke Castle ruins, plus views of the surrounding area and the NYC skyline.
- Stairway to Heaven: – Appalachian Trail; Pochuck Valley to Pinwheel Vista
Hike over boardwalks and a suspension bridge before climbing the “Stairway to Heaven” – one of the best viewpoints in NJ.
- Sunfish Pond – Worthington State Forest / Delaware Water Gap
Hike through some of the prettiest forest in New Jersey to a glacial lake 1,000 feet above the surrounding area.
- Terrace Pond Loop – Wawayanda State Park
Loop combines pleasant forest walking with rocky scrambles and passes by pretty Terrace Pond.
- Torne Mountain and Osio Rock – Norvin Green State Forest
View after view before Osio Rock’s 360° pano of Wanaque Reservoir (+NYC skyline on a clear day).
- Tripod Rock, Whale Rock, Bear Rock – Pyramid Mountain; Morris County
This pretty route includes interesting glacial erratics and two overlooks.
- Wawayanda State Park – Cedar Swamp, Lake Lookout – Sussex County
Shady hike through plentiful rhododendron, a cedar swamp, and past Lake Lookout and Wawayanda Lake.
- Wells Mills County Park – White trail (called Penns Hill Trail or Macri Trail)
A great intro to the terrain of the Pine Barrens and Atlantic white cedar swamps.